Saturday, April 9, 2011

CAPRICE on the big screen

Well, it finally happened. I got the chance to watch a film I wrote in a real theater. In the words of FAMILY GUY'S Stewie, "I feel right, Brian. I feel right!"

CAPRICE was shown last night at a women's film festival called, THE REEL DAME FILM FESTIVAL in Richmond Virginia. It was the Grace Street Theater, in the VCU area. CAPRICE's appearance was a last minute entry from what I understand. The director, Jack Bennett had called me a couple of weeks ago with the news.

Naturally, I had to work. It never fails. Every time something last minute occurs, I have to work. However, I was going to do this. Thankfully, Mary at work traded shifts with me. I am forever in her debt. I told her that I owe her a kidney. Considering what a partier she is, I may have to pay up sooner than I'd like. Oh well, fuck it. It was worth it.

Anyway, let's cut to the chase. Lindsay and I got there two hours early. There was time to grab something to eat and check out the films before ours.

I have dreamed for years of being a real writer. To see my work on screen or in print some days felt an impossibility. I have seen the CAPRICE trailer shown at the Chesapeake Library's FANTASMO. This was different. Seeing the entire film with people who don't know me or would barely give a shit about protecting my feelings. Was it scary? Actually, no. It was exciting. For some reason, I wasn't as nervous as I thought I was.

It was a small audience. The film was shown at the end of the night, 10:30, so maybe one could suggest that was it. I still don't think so. Even when I thought there would be a bigger crowd, I was still cooler than I'd thought I'd be. I sat there actually on the edge of my seat. I was a kid on Christmas morning.

I was convinced of how good this movie is. The performances of actors, John, Brandon, and Renee are badass. They're even more so on the big screen. They're all three wonderful actors and we were damn lucky to get them.

Jack Bennett took my decent script and made it a hundred times better. I've worked with a number of talented people over the years, but he is truly the best creative partner I've ever had. Bless his bald head.

I have to say that ever since I started writing back in high school, I've always prided my female characters. I grew up during the 70's and I've always had strong women in my life. I'm always confused that others can't write strong and complex women. Even some female writers have had trouble doing this. I generally feel it's second nature in my work. Having CAPRICE play at a women's film festival was an honor and felt like a natural fit.

I want to thank the good people at THE REEL DAME FILM FESTIVAL for having us there. It'll be an experience I'll remember for the rest of my days.

No comments:

Post a Comment